How do I arrange a care service through My Care Selection?

Phone us on 0203 325 7705 to chat about how My Care Selection and its care providers can offer assistance. We welcome the opportunity to help you find appropriate person-centered facilities and to then put in place the most caring solutions. Once this has been decided and a suitable provider chosen then all that’s left to do is choose a start date. All this can be done at a pace and time, so to suit you.

Back to top

What if I want to make changes to my care package?

Our experience suggests that people’s care needs often change as time goes by. We therefore understand that care may need reviewing from time to time. This is why the care provider will carry out occasional reviews and why they will be pleased to hear from members of the immediate family about effective methods for developing and improving the care service for their relative.

Back to top

What tasks will my care assistant carry out?

At the outset a care plan is agreed with you and which details exactly what it is you have instructed to be done. This then becomes the work schedule for each day. Tasks can include household domestic duties, assistance with bathing and showering, medicinal administration, shopping, food preparation and eating and drinking, participating in hobbies and companionship.

Care plans frequently evolve and so can be checked to ensure that the care provided is appropriate.

Back to top

Is there anything that my care assistant is not able to do?

Once it has been established exactly what you want on each visit, the provider will work to that schedule. They are not able to give injections or change sterile dressings. Also, they cannot carry out tasks which are likely to cause risk to either the person being cared for or to the provider’s care assistant. Tasks will be agreed with you in advance. Any changes to the plan can be discussed with your local provider’s care team.

Back to top

Will I have the same care assistant each day?

This depends on how many care visits you have each week. It is very rare to have just one care assistant assigned to a particular client. This allows for periods of time where your care assistant may be away on holiday, however it is in the best interests to keep the number of your care workers to an absolute minimum.

Back to top

What about my personal security?

To achieve Care Quality Commission registration then every member of the provider’s Care team has been through a vetting procedure before starting work. In addition, all staff can be in uniform and can carry a personalised identification card which shows their name, photograph and signature.

Back to top

How can I be sure that my care assistant will stay the full period of the care visit and carry out all the tasks?

Your provider takes a considered approach to ensuring that your care service is exactly what is required. After every visit the care assistant should write the details of the activities undertaken during the visit in a care record (which is retained by the client).

Back to top

How do I pay for my care?

Preferably by standing order, so to save the hassle of organising regular payments. Otherwise talk to your provider, as it should also be possible to pay by cheque or cash.

Back to top

How much do the care services cost and can I get any help with the fees?

Your care provider will put together a detailed plan for you, which as well as setting out the care to be delivered, also shows the weekly costs. Some people will be entitled to assistance with the cost of their care either from their local Social Services office or via other Government grants. Talk to us on 0203 325 7705 if you like further help exploring the issues.

Back to top

What happens when the office is closed?

Our office hours are from 9.00am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Most care providers offer an ‘out of hours’ phone service. We suggest you contact your provider for further details.

Back to top

What safeguards do I have?

When necessary, our providers are registered with the relevant registration body in each county in which they operate. However, care homes and home care agencies must be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). You may report any safeguarding concerns to your local authority, CQC or directly to us.

Back to top

Do you offer professional advice to help organise and fund my care?

Many people pay for their care and support using their own private funds or with help from family or friends. My Care Selection can put you in touch with organisations who can provide advice to help support the payment of your care and also advise on legal matters that will help you stay in control of the care and support services that you receive.

Back to top

What funding and support is there for people with dementia?

The word dementia describes a set of symptoms that may include memory loss and difficulties with thinking, problem-solving or language. Dementia is caused when the brain is damaged by diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease or a series of strokes. Dementia is progressive, which means the symptoms will gradually get worse.

Many families we speak to at My Care Selection are struggling with care issues related to dementia support. There are over 900,000 people in the UK with dementia and the numbers are due to rise in the coming decade.

All types of dementia are progressive. This means that the structure and chemistry of the brain become increasingly damaged over time. The person’s ability to remember, understand, communicate and reason gradually declines.

How quickly dementia progresses depends on the individual. Each person is unique and experiences dementia in their own way.

The way people experience dementia depends on many factors, including physical make-up, emotional resilience and the support available to them.

Families of relatives with dementia often face difficult decisions when the individual’s care needs change; it becomes apparent that they are not coping and more support is needed, care could be the answer.

Many people are happier if they can remain independent and in their own homes as long as possible.

To achieve this, it may be necessary to make some adaptions to their homes or to use new equipment and/or assistive technology that has been designed to enable people with dementia to remain independent for longer or make it easier for others to give support.

Back to top

When should we ask for help?

My Care Selection’s excellent reputation for providing high quality and person-centered services is achieved through not having a ‘one size fits all’ approach to service provision. Our ethos is to provide a holistic service, which enables you to maintain full control of your care so that it fits around your chosen lifestyle and preferences.

We understand that by providing specialist person-centered dementia care the quality of life for you and your family and friends can be significantly enhanced. Each plan of care is bespoke and tailored to your unique requirements and reviews of your care plan are reassessed when your needs change. Feedback shows that this approach makes a real difference, especially with helping you retain a good level of independence and your previous hobbies and interests.

This type of illness can bring many challenges to everyone involved and close to you. Experience within this specialist area ensures that we can continually develop and add to our wide range of services and information sources available. These are all fully utilised along with the provision of specialist trained care assistants. Although some symptoms are common to many people with dementia, each person’s experience of the illness will be different.

Care assistants are trained to recognise that there may be a greater requirement to focus on a range of practical issues that will increase as your condition progresses. Continuous reassurance and support for you, your family and friends is a vital part of your care provision.

Back to top

What needs to take place and how?

It is very important that both a medical assessment of dementia and also a care assessment are undertaken; these are two different things which both play an important part in deciding what are the next best steps to remain living at home. Your first port of call for help is your GP, although it is important that you are referred to a consultant specialising in dementia. If there has been an initial assessment, but the condition has changed and/or worsened then you are entitled to ask for another evaluation.

The Care Needs Assessment is a different step which looks at how dementia affects one’s ability to look after oneself and manage day-to-day. Several professionals are involved in this assessment – there will be medical input from the doctor or senior nurse, an occupational therapist will look at life skills such as cooking and self-care and a social worker will also be involved.

Back to top

Will someone who has dementia qualify for continuing healthcare funding?

This is a question many thousands of families are asking. Continuing healthcare funding is free and provided by the NHS, but confusingly, some people with dementia are granted this funding for their care fees and others are not. Let’s start with how continuing healthcare itself is explained and defined by the Department of Health: “Care provided over an extended period of time, to a person aged 18 or over to meet physical or mental health needs that have arisen as a result of disability, accident or illness.”

The controversy and confusion arises in this area around the definition of “health needs”. While “health needs” are funded through the NHS, if needs are assessed as being primarily “social needs”, they will not receive NHS funding. When someone has dementia, their needs may be described as primarily social, rather than health and they would therefore not qualify for continuing healthcare funding.

Unfortunately, there is widespread variation in terms of whether people with dementia qualify for this funding and charities like the Alzheimer’s Society believe many people unfairly miss out on funding.

Back to top

What happens next?

About two thirds of the people in the UK currently living with dementia are in their own homes. Unpaid family carers of course play a vital role in supporting thousands of individuals, keeping them safe and within their own homes but you may reach a stage when more professional help is needed to support the family help already in place.

If your relative has dementia, the assessment process for care will be the same, whether that care is going to take place within their own home or not.

If someone with dementia is in their own home but needs further support then they may be entitled to funding from the local authority to pay for the costs of care. This will be decided by a means test.

If your relative is not eligible for local authority funding, they will nevertheless be entitled to a number of benefits which will help towards overall costs. These include: Attendance Allowance (AA), Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Pension Credit and carers allowance.

You are welcome to talk to one of our advisors for more information about funding for care on 0203 325 7705.

Back to top